The need for exceptional design is paramount in the SaaS world, where the user experience can make or break a product. As your business grows, so will the complexities and volume of your design needs. A pressing question often faced by SaaS business owners is: should they build an in-house design team or outsource to an agency? Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and the choice is anything but straightforward.
The In-House Option
- Control: When you have an in-house team, you have complete control over the design process. You can quickly adapt to changing business needs and have direct oversight of all activities.
- Communication: In-house teams benefit from seamless communication with other departments. This means your designers will have an in-depth understanding of your product and brand.
- Speed: An in-house team that is focused solely on your project can generally provide quicker turnarounds.
- Cost: Hiring and retaining a skilled team is costly. There are also additional expenses like software licenses, hardware, and employee benefits.
- Limited Skill-Set: An in-house team has a finite set of skills. If a challenge arises that requires a new skill set, you'll need to invest in training or new hires.
- Burnout: Working on the same project for an extended period can lead to creative fatigue, affecting the quality of work.
The Agency Route
- Diverse Expertise: Agencies bring to the table a wide variety of skills, offering you the flexibility to meet challenges from multiple angles.
- Reduced Overheads: Outsourcing means you don't have to worry about the nuances of employee management, including sick leaves, benefits, and workspace costs.
- Focus: Agencies are designed to be project-based, providing a concentrated effort to complete your design tasks within a specified timeline.
- Less Control: You won't be the agency's only client, so you may have to compromise on some of your preferences.
- Communication Barriers: An external team may require more time to fully understand your internal goals and align with them.
- Cost Variability: High-quality agencies often come at a premium price, which may fluctuate depending on the project’s demands.
The Fikri Studio Advantage
If the thought of relinquishing control to an agency worries you, Fikri Studio offers a dedicated team approach, ensuring that your project is always our top priority. You get the focus and specialized skill sets of an agency, but with the level of priority you would expect from an in-house team.
The Hybrid Model
Some companies opt for a middle-ground solution, where they maintain a small in-house design team for routine tasks but rely on an agency for more specialized, high-impact projects. This hybrid model often provides the best of both worlds, giving businesses the flexibility and expertise they need without overcommitting resources in one direction.
The choice between an in-house design team and an agency will ultimately boil down to your unique needs, budget constraints, and long-term business objectives. Both options have their merits and drawbacks, and it's crucial to consider each before making a decision.
Fikri Studio is dedicated to offering specialized SaaS design solutions with a dedicated team model, ensuring your project always receives the highest priority. We offer the expertise and focus of an agency while giving you the assurance that your project is our number one concern.
Looking to scale your design needs?
Fikri Studio specializes in SaaS and offers a dedicated designer and a non-dedicated project manager to ensure your project's success. All of this comes with a monthly retainer, making your design budget predictable and manageable. Let's talk about how we can work together to achieve your design goals.
By weighing your options carefully and choosing the right model for your business, you can create a scalable, high-quality design process that not only serves your users well but also contributes meaningfully to your bottom line.